Sunday, February 20, 2005

Father and Daughter

I read this article a while ago in an online forum. It's very moving, about the deep love between father and daughter. It reminded me of my dad.

When I was in college, I need to take bus to our main campus, which is very far. I stayed in college dorm; but once every one or two weeks, I came back home to see my parents, as well as do laundry, eat good food, watch TV... There was a long walking distance between my parent's home and bus station, and I always have to bring two very heavy backpacks full of clean clothes, food and other goodies back to school. So my dad always took me on the back of his bike to the bus station.

My parents had me when they were in their 40's. So my dad was not young any more when I was in college. Every time I sat on the back of my dad's bike and saw his shoulder moving each time he stepped on the bike paddles, my nose just felt so sore. My parents are not those kind of people who explicitly express their feelings (which I am the same way). If my dad wants to praise someone, the best he can do is just to say "good". He never says "Excellent, or you did great!" It's just a simple plain "Good". Some people may get frustrated if they don't know my dad. And he never says how much he loves us.

One time on the way to the bus station, he told me that when I am old, he hope that I can still remember that there was this old man who always took me to bus station every weekend. He said in such a way that almost made me cry. Even though all the words he says were simple and plain, I can feel all the caring and love from his tone. I couldn't speak. I don't know how to speak out my feeling, I don't know how to tell him that I understand how he cares for me. And I don't know how to say "I love you, dad!"