Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Does happiness depend on what we have?

I read the following quote from an email sent by a member from my photography club today -- "Happiness doesn't depend on what you have or who you are, but it only depends on what you think."

Is this true? I don't think so. Maybe happiness doesn't depend on who I am, but it will definitely depend on what I have. If there is a certain thing, person or feeling I desperately need but cannot have, will I be happy? No, I will be sad, frustrated or maybe angry, but I will never be happy. Thoughts may change the degree of the sadness, but it won't change the basic perspective of how I really feel. I remembered when I post my article "无奈" online, someone left a comment saying that I should not bother myself with such thoughts. He suggested that I should think of those homeless people or people who are poor or sick, then I would feel lucky and happy about myself. Yeah, I am lucky comparing to them, but why should I compare to someone with different background? If everyone just compares himself/herself with those who are poor or sick, yeah, everyone will be satisfied with his/her current situation and be happy, but then how will the world improve if everyone stays in the same spot?

If I had something precious, but I lost it, will I be happy if I know it is somewhere in the world but I cannot have it? No, I won't. I would try my best to look for it, to gain it back, so that I can have it again, so that I can be happy again!



Angry? Sad? Frightened?