Monday, May 23, 2005

KFog KaBoom!

My friends and I went to "KFOG KaBoom!" on Saturday afternoon.

KFog KaBoom! -- A favorite annual tradition in the Bay Area, this free event, featuring a concert with major recording artists is topped off with one of the best fireworks displays in the country. The gigantic fireworks show over the Bay will explode in harmony with a KFOG World Class Rock soundtrack broadcast on KFOG at 104.5FM and 97.7FM.

I was pretty excited about the event, not because of the concert, but because of the fireworks. I really wanted to take some fireworks pictures. I have never tried that before, and I didn't know how to take fireworks pictures at all. So I did some research before I left for the event, learned some basic rules, and squeezed my jacket, tripod and my camera in my backpack, then I was on my way to the concert.

It is estimated that about 350,000 people would come to the event. So I and my friends decided to go there earlier to get a better location for the concert and the fireworks. The concert is on pier 30-32. We drove to Daly City and took the Bart to the city. We got there around 3:30, and found out that there're already many people inside. We were so un-prepared for the event. All the locals brought blankets or beach chairs to sit on. We brought nothing. B is pretty smart; he went to steal some garbage bags. Luckily we found a good spot, so all 6 of us can sit comfortably on the garbage bags.

The event is great, although I didn't really know those bands and artists. I had a great time. I walked around, taking pictures, getting free stuffs, drinking beer and dancing in the crowds. I was patiently waiting for the fireworks.

Finally it was announced that the fireworks was going to start soon. I immediately got up and set up my tripod. At the same time I went through all the rules in my mind about how to take firework pictures, and adjusted the camera setting according to the rules. I took out my remote control, and change the camera mood to the remote control mood, opened the lens cover, pointing the lens toward the sky. I was so ready to take the pictures. Then the fireworks started with the music in the background. It was splendid and romantic. B was standing by D holding her back; they made a very romantic couple at the moment. I was busy taking pictures, but I was kind of jealous of them, wishing that I would have someone standing by me too at that moment. The fireworks were really amazingly beautiful; you just hear people's Ahhhs and Woooos the whole time. I could only pray that I have them all in my memory card vividly. But no luck, after I got home, I checked all my firework pictures. Only one or two came out ok, the rests are failures. :( Defintely need more practice, for now, I can only have all the beautiful fireworks in my memories!


Fireworks