Tuesday, March 08, 2005

What is the purpose of my life?

What is the goal of my life? I’ve been asking this question to myself for several years, and I still don’t know the answer. When I was a kid, whatever my parents expect from me is my goal. Getting into a good high school, then a good college, then going aboard to get an advanced degree, are all the goals they set up for me. After I got my M. Sc. and got a job in the Valley, suddenly I felt so empty inside. I don’t know what my next goal is. I’m working and I’m good at what I’m working on, but I’m not sure whether this is what I really like. I’m a smart person. Since I was a kid, I can be good at whatever I put my hands on and my heart into. My life is very smooth, top university in China, distinguished student; full scholarship and admission to the university here, 4.0 GPA; good job and stayed in the job while the world was getting laid off. I really liked my job at the beginning, learned a lot of new stuff, got to know many nice people, even practiced my Ping Pong skill at work with my co-workers. But I have been in the same job for about 4 and half years. I’m so used to it now -- so used that makes me bored. I think I need a change, but to what? I don’t think I want to do the same job. I want to change my career. Shall I go back to China? Shall I go to Business School? There was one time I really wanted to go to Business School in France, main reason is just because it is in France, and I wanted to spend some time of my life in Europe. But Business School costs lots of time and money, is it worthy to do? I want to change but I’m afraid of risks. I felt like that I’m in the dark. There is no light out there which I can go for. I don’t know what my future is like, and I’m afraid even when I think about it. There are too many things going on in my mind, and I can’t make a decision. I hope I can have a mentor, someone older and wiser who can give me good instructions on my life and career and who I can trust, but where to find this person?