Sunday, January 22, 2006

My First Badminton Tournament

I had my first badminton tournament yesterday. I played 6 games, 2 double and 4 single. I did ok in the tournament, nothing out of expectation. I thought I would be very nervous, but I was pretty relaxed actually. My partner for the double game seems more nervous than I was in the game.

We used the new badminton rule. 21 points, every serve counts a point. It's much faster to play this way, you cannot make any mistake, and otherwise you loose one point. I have never practiced in this way before, so it's kind of weird to me, I didn't even know which side to serve when I was in the game.

I played for the beginning's level competition, since I only started to play badminton 4 month ago. I know I can beat all the female beginners even though they started a lot earlier than I did. And I did beat them in the game; score was ok, 21:10 and 21:7. I thought I may have a chance to beat one male beginner too, but too bad, I lost the game at 15:21. I know where my weakness is, my clear is really bad. I cannot clear the shutter lock to the back of the opponent's court, so it's easy for them to block my clear shot and just smash back. Need lots of practice on that!

F told me that I need to play for at least 2 and half years to get into the regular team; I wish I can do better than that!

Badminton games seem very easy to cause knee injury. I saw many good players in the regular team, who are called "handicap" by other players, because they all had surgery on their knees. There was a girl, she had a very serious injury, and had to stop for playing for like 2 years, now she started to recover and played in the tournament. But she cannot run much, so she only played in the double game, and her partner had to run like a hell. Better be careful while playing!


Capital Reef National Park, Utah