Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Pingpong champion

We just hired this new guy called K a month ago. It's funny when our director introduced him to everyone. In my team, we have the tradition that all new comers need to write something about themselves for the introduction. And the director will read it out during the team all hands meeting. So on that day when the director J introduced K, he was saying that K did this and that before and for sports, K likes to play Ping-Pong. Since I'm the Ping-Pong champion in the team, when he mentioned that K plays PP, everyone was turning their head to look at me (I was sitting in the back of the conference room.) I felt very embarrassed with so many eyes on me, so I just waved my arm and said "Hi, I also play PP!" to K. Then the director continues to read that K is ready to kick somebody's ass. Then everyone was saying "wooooooo" and turned around and looked at me again. Yeah, I'd better buy some butt pad then.

So K has been here for a month now, and I haven't played with him. In Chinese, there is an idiom, 知己知彼,才能百战百胜, which means that you can only beat your opponent if you know your opponent very well. So I went to chat with him, asking him whether he plays in the table tennis club, how long he has been playing, whether he has a rank, and what kind of paddle he uses. And sadly found out that he seems a very good player. My butt started to feel pain now.

Two weeks ago, K came by saying lets play Friday afternoon. I said ok. So that Friday, I played a little with him, I think he wanted to know how I play too, so we didn't play any games. And of course, as usual, I was wearing my skirt and high heels. He is GOOD! He can return most of my smashes, and he has good backhand. After one hour hitting back and forth, plus running left and right, I got a blister on my toe. That never happened before no matter how high my heels are. So he is GOOD!

Finally, last Friday, we decided to play games. I was fully prepared, I had new rubber on my paddle, and I was wearing my tennis shoes. But he is GOOD, so I still lost. We played 4 games, and I only won one game, though the scores for all the games are very close between me and him.

Therefore, I have to give up my Ping-Pong champion title. :( Well, since the score is not that far apart, I think if I have more practice, I still have a chance to gain it back! Good luck to me!



window, shadow